Today started off a little behind, that happens sometimes when I have a very challenging 7-year-old boy who…. well it varies from day to day what he does or how he does it but it can delay things at times… 😉 As I was running late I was rushing to school for a site visit from Digital Promise (really looking forward to working with this company), when I arrived the scheduled had been mixed up so I was able to join my boss and the DP coach at another site visit at a local school! So…
What I learned today:
- Everyone makes mistakes, has mix-ups but usually it all works out for the best at the end of the day…
- There are some really amazing things going on fellow/sister schools that I was completely unaware of (I plan to now tap these resources)
- Oklahoma Centennial Mid-High has a YouTube channel where a student-produced web show is shared!
- Technology in OKCPS is in abundance (to the point of excess) at some schools, but they need help/support implementing it. (hopefully where the awesome team I am a member of comes in!)
- I wrote excess above and then as I look back and think, when can we have excess technology?? There cannot be too much just an increased urgency to support it at these schools… (hopefully you get what I am saying here)
- How exciting it is to have people outside the district versed in Ed Tech come into our building (JM) and feel the climate and warmth from our students, staff, admin. I tell everyone it’s like another home and the Bears are my family, but you don’t really understand until you come for a visit! Just ecstatic the DP coach felt it!
- I am helping some teachers…
- Draftback is one of the coolest Chrome extensions I have ever seen, plan to make a screencast about it’s awesomeness!
- It is okay for me to get overly excited about tech and tools and geek out in front of everyone!
- Families with students that receive free lunch at school can get Cox (high-speed internet) for $10 with the Connect To Compete Initiative.
- The Learner First is going to be a great thing for OKCPS, it will take time but using multiple assessment points to draw conclusions about our students being prepared for their future in and outside of school will be well worth the work we are putting in! “One size fits one”, ask me why.
I so did not feel like writing today/tonight, but these moments really help me to process my day… I know I still have tons to learn and plan to do so!!