So I am actually going to reflect on the days leading up to Thanksgiving, as I wait for the meal to begin with my boyfriend and his family… I realize I am not going to remember everything so hopefully I can resume my daily posts….
What I’ve learned over the last few days:
- Indoor soccer games seem to go by quicker especially when your team is winning! Riley won his game last Friday and it was most excellent!
- I can literally waste hours listening to my paranormal audio books on Overdrive and playing silly games like Candy Crush (soda saga), Criminal Case, Clash of Clans, Pet Rescue Saga, Paradise Bay, and others…..
- My vision for our #1to1bears video is going to take more work than I expected…
- Interviews with students are a ton of fun and informative if they take it seriously!
- Audacity is great tool but takes more than a couple minutes to use it to do what I am needing it to do.
- Adobe Audition taught me how to see sounds like beeping/honking horns in the color wave format of the audio and has some tools similar to audacity.
- iMovie can be frustrating and I need more practice and tutorials
- Camtasia might be my go to for this video after spending hours working with Audacity and iMovie…. We shall see
Well I wanted to post something, reflection seems to really be helping me in my practice! Well enjoy your family and food, hopefully we will be eating soon!
On a side note, my boyfriend can play the piano, I did not know….
Balancing work and home is a challenge, I think I have it some days and then BAM! I so do not have it….
What I learned or was reminded of today:
- Creating and/or making is fun (duh? Right but it is good to keep reminding ourselves this)
- I finally published the latest blog post about one of my teachers; Pratt’s Poe-sters and it is awesome!
- The community and student feedback is critical to our success as educators.
- Carts in the classroom are great storage for devices but the locking mechanisms are lacking… (Need to find a solution)
- I had planned to make it to EduDrinks tonight, had a sitter line up but…. I came home and both me and Riley took naps!
- I truly love paranormal audio books, currently stuck on the Night Huntress series, I love Kat, Bones and especially Vlad!
- I want to buy a LEAF ASAP… #goals
- Layla is pretty good pup! #toosmart
Maybe tomorrow will be more techy and inspired but for now that is all I have, committed to the #daytoday!
Today started off a little behind, that happens sometimes when I have a very challenging 7-year-old boy who…. well it varies from day to day what he does or how he does it but it can delay things at times… 😉 As I was running late I was rushing to school for a site visit from Digital Promise (really looking forward to working with this company), when I arrived the scheduled had been mixed up so I was able to join my boss and the DP coach at another site visit at a local school! So…
What I learned today:
- Everyone makes mistakes, has mix-ups but usually it all works out for the best at the end of the day…
- There are some really amazing things going on fellow/sister schools that I was completely unaware of (I plan to now tap these resources)
- Oklahoma Centennial Mid-High has a YouTube channel where a student-produced web show is shared!
- Technology in OKCPS is in abundance (to the point of excess) at some schools, but they need help/support implementing it. (hopefully where the awesome team I am a member of comes in!)
- I wrote excess above and then as I look back and think, when can we have excess technology?? There cannot be too much just an increased urgency to support it at these schools… (hopefully you get what I am saying here)
- How exciting it is to have people outside the district versed in Ed Tech come into our building (JM) and feel the climate and warmth from our students, staff, admin. I tell everyone it’s like another home and the Bears are my family, but you don’t really understand until you come for a visit! Just ecstatic the DP coach felt it!
- I am helping some teachers…
- Draftback is one of the coolest Chrome extensions I have ever seen, plan to make a screencast about it’s awesomeness!
- It is okay for me to get overly excited about tech and tools and geek out in front of everyone!
- Families with students that receive free lunch at school can get Cox (high-speed internet) for $10 with the Connect To Compete Initiative.
- The Learner First is going to be a great thing for OKCPS, it will take time but using multiple assessment points to draw conclusions about our students being prepared for their future in and outside of school will be well worth the work we are putting in! “One size fits one”, ask me why.
I so did not feel like writing today/tonight, but these moments really help me to process my day… I know I still have tons to learn and plan to do so!!
We got a new puppy over the weekend so adjusting to her has been a change but she is a great new addition! I also decided to add a lil color to my hair with some red underneath and a couple peek-a-boo spots! I am pretty happy with the results. Riley and his team won their last outdoor soccer game Saturday and I started to feel “better” so that is good. Today was a fairly usual gloomy fall morning, lots of drizzle and dark most of the day…. but overall it didn’t turn out to be a bad day….
What I learned today:
- People will appear as helpless or competent as they choose depending on who they are talking to….
- Our students are amazing and intelligent! I interviewed one of our 9th graders today about her experience in her 1:1 classes and her overall opinion of technology. (It was awesome and I look forward to talking to more students)
- Classcraft is making really positive changes in our 7th grade ELA class!! I walked into get a couple shots of students FA working and to check in with and felt how the climate of the classroom has changed… It has been less than 2 weeks and I can see and feel it in the class I observed!
- Digital Promise is pretty awesome! We met with 3 coaches all well versed in education and technology implementation who really illicited some great conversation for some stakeholders in OKCPS and our ETS team.
- I am super lucky to be a part of our OKCPS ETS team!! We truly are a great group of intelligent, passionate educators.
This is Riley (my 7 yr old) and Layla our 7 week old Rottsky!
Woo Hoo! Playoff game 1 is a win for the JM Bears! Riley played his first indoor game tonight (they lost) but it is all good! My baby 8th graders are Seniors this year, it is so much fun to watch my students grow!
What I learned today:
- You can have a vision or idea but when great minds come together even better things are created!!
- That Voxer has been around a long time but using it for a PLN tool is pretty awesome, I love to listen to the ETcoaches chat on Voxer
- I am excited to hear what my teammates think of “PeekAPak” it’s this new social/emotional program/curriculum for K-3rd, I spoke to the co-founder Ami Shah and she is so awesome! I think PeekAPak is going to be great for students, teachers and parents.
- College App Day for our students is November 17, 2015 (volunteers for the community are coming into help students look through, research and apply to colleges during the school day) this is going to be #epic #bearsdoitbetter
- My weekly e-mails from Unsplash are awesome!
- I like freebies! Thinglink is doing a give away for creating a ThingLink LifeHack #stayamazing and Shakeup Learning is doing giveaways for the next 4 weeks (today was the end of week 1)
- I love Apple Mail (the mail client withing MacBooks) totally my favorite – “Smart Mailboxes” make my life better because I am addicted to the subscribe button (I don’t want to miss out!)
- Our OKCPS communications department is AHHHHmazing!
- My teammate and I spent some time this afternoon working in Google Sheets w/conditional formatting (fun stuff!) We so got our #datageek on!
- Conversations and explanations can lead to creativity and innovations…. (in my opinion)
- Reading and reflecting are critical to my processing….
I love shouting and cheering on my son in soccer and our Bears on the field but my throat is not such a fan…